The Mission of the Southampton Solent University
The pursuit of inclusive and flexible forms of Higher Education which meet the needs of employers and prepare students to succeed in a fast-changing competitive world.
Southampton Solent University became a university in July 2005. Incorporated as an independent higher education institution in 1989, the University's origins can be traced back to a private School of Art founded in 1856.
Southampton Solent University is a dynamic and modernized University which seeks to create an advanced training
program that combines theory with practice. The desire to continually meet the world standard of education is reflected in the range of innovative courses designed in conjunction with the largest firms.
Why Southampton Solent University?
- About one in five of our students come from Europe or overseas
- University has strong local roots within Southampton and its region, working closely with the city, the community, mployers and voluntary organizations.
- All students have structured opportunities for working on real projects for external clients
- Today there are 100 properly paid and supervised graduate internships provided by the University each year
- University offers 40 student business start ups annually, giving help throughout, from initial concept, building a business case, offering incubator space, and beyond to securing external financial backing
- More than 200 courses in 11 different areas
- Perfect facilities for students: big library with books, magazines, audio/video books; big computer centres; gym; meeting places; group work rooms.
- Art & Design
- Business & Law
- Engineering & Construction
- Entertainment Technology
- Social Sciences
- Sport & Tourism
- Teaching & Learning
The majority of our new students choose to live in one of the University's Student Residences in their first year and most of our Residences are set aside for new undergraduates.
In total we have six halls of residence which are all within a short stroll of the city centre and the campus. So, whether it's lectures, a session in the library, shopping or a night out on the town, it's all close by.