THE ROOTS OF UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH GO BACK TO 1869. BY NOW THEY HAVE GROWN IN SIZE AND STRENGTH, CREATING AND SHARING SUCCESS WITH STUDENTS, STAFF, COMMUNITY AND SOCIETY. IN 1992 IT HAS OFFICIALLY BECOME UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH.
As a city campus, all of teaching and most of residences are in the centre of Portsmouth, so the University and city’s facilities are right on your doorstep. The campus is made up of over 40 buildings, interspersed with green spaces and communal areas such as cafés and coffee shops.
PORTSMOUTH AS A CITY HAS IT ALL - A CAMPUS, AT THE HEART OF THE CITY THAT OFFERS CULTURE AND EXPERIENCES - FROM COMEDY NIGHTS AND GIGS TO HISTORIC SHIPS AND WINDSURFING.
In the 2014 National Student Survey, student satisfaction at the University of Portsmouth rose to 88%, higher than the UK national average. These results mark the eighth year when Portsmouth students have rated their university above the English national average.
Around half of our students study courses which are accredited or validated by professional organisations, and many more of our degrees offer an accelerated route to qualifying with a profession or obtaining chartered status.
There are five faculties at University of Portsmouth:
- Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Portsmouth Business School
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Technology
Why choose Portsmouth University?
- We have invested in excess of £100 million in to our buildings and resources over the last 10 years.
- We are ranked among the top 400 universities in the world and the top modern university in the United Kingdom in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- We have a total population of 21,368 students and almost 2,500 staff.
- 85% of our students are studying undergraduate courses. We have almost 4,000 international and EU students from over 140 different countries.
- 45% of our students are female and 55% are male.
- 95% of our UK students aged under 21, studying for a first degree come from state schools and colleges.
- Over 88% of our 2013 graduates went straight in to work or chose to continue their studies.
- For the 8th consecutive year our students have scored us above the national average for satisfaction in the independent National Student Survey 2014.
- 88% of our students have reported high levels of satisfaction with their course which is higher than the national average of 86%.